I love watching review videos as much as I love making them, I also love watching Dupe videos as much as I love making them - but what you'll notice on my channel is that I have very few true DUPE videos - and with good reason. I absolutely will NOT post a dupe video if I have not done a thorough investigation of all the other so called dupes and products similar to the one that I am "duping", and what I find is that many YouTubers WILL post videos claiming something is a dupe simply because they "hear it a lot on YT" or because it "Pretty much looks like a dupe" - that's false information and incredibly poor research.
People really take the power of YouTube for granted - YouTube is a community (or should be) where people go to look up truthful reviews, tutorials, tips & tricks, and of course, real dupes. Its bad information to say "This is a dupe of _________" just because you hear a handful of YouTubers mention it - do your own research - if you aren't willing to put the time and effort into it, then don't go posting or writing about a Dupe when something simply isn't one.
It is a big pet peeve because there are a lot of girls who rely on their favorite YouTubers to deliver valid info on products, and they will listen to you and go out and spend money on a product...so to encourage these viewers to purchase something because you HEARD its a dupe without really trying it out or even having the original product is completely unacceptable. Also color isn't the only thing that warrants a DUPE - one needs to asses quality, staying power, wear time & evenness.
Here is a list of things that I hear are "Dupes" yet after several trials I have found it to be false - also - I ALWAYS make sure that I buy the ORIGINAL product and several similar ones before claiming to have found a dupe - if you don't have the real one then you don't REALLY know if its a true dupe.
**NARS Orgasm Blush - I have used this for several months, I adore it. I have NOT found an adequate dupe AT ALL.**
- The ELF "Twinkle Pink" IS NOT A DUPE. It is very flat, one dimensional. MUCH lighter and lacks peach undertones. Its glitter is faint at best and applies rather softly. Its a pretty color, but certainly NOT A DUPE FOR NARS ORGASM.
- Milani "Luminous" Mineral Blush - very similar in tone and the peach colored sparkle is much more similar than the ELF - while similar, its not an adequate dupe.
- Bourjois #33 Blush - This is the closest that I have actually tried in terms of color - however the glitter isn't as fixed as it is in ORGASM, its actual loose glitter which is more reminiscent of SUPER ORGASM.
**Urban Decay Primer Potion** Now this is one that unless you have it and use it, don't attempt to find a dupe for it. A cult classic, UDPP is amazing on many levels - wear time, color enhancing, crease resistant, etc.
- ELF Primer - NOT A DUPE WHATSOEVER AT ALL NO WAY. While it is a nice crease resistant primer, it has no business being compared to Urban Decay. The Elf Primer is thinner and actually creases itself until smoothes out. Texture wise, its very smooth but again very thin. UDPP is thick and doubles as a base.
Honestly - I have yet to find a dupe and really would rather not. Urban Decay is incredible and its an investment that is surely worth it.
**MAC Pink Nouveau** Lipstick - again, MAC is great and in my opinion, its one of the less expensive brands of high quality makeup especially for the color payoff and wear time.Their versatility and ability to please an enormous range of skin tones and personalities merits it to be a favorite brand for makeup lovers and MUAs alike. While there are some dupes out there, MAC is a brand that Id rather just get the real thing. For Pink Nouveau, a nice dupe is actually a lip liner by NYX in DOLLY PINK.
Because MAC (and many other great lines) have unique color combos to make one lipstick, its harder to find a true dupe, PN is a very cool toned pink with some blue undertones - find the exact dupe really was tough and I didn't mange to find it.
- Cover Girl #365 Enchantress was SLIGHTLY SIMILAR - it does NOT have blue undertones, however, the wash of color applied the same (very smoothly), it wore for hours, and the shade of the true pink itself reminded me a nit of it.
**Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara** MY FAVORITE MASACRA EVERRRRR! as you all know :-) This is an unbeatable blend of fibers and amazingness that glides on lashes and encourages a beautiful curl and has them stand at attention all through the day. It separates and intensifies - your eyes look huge while wearing this.
- L'oreal Voluminous Falsies - while I did make a video reviewing this mascara and saying how it does a beautiful job, I really get pretty annoyed when I hear YT's say "Oh its a dupe for Lancome Hypnose Drama" - It absolutely IS NOT. It DOES make eyelashes appear a good 85% fuller & longer, it wraps each lash in fibers and holds them at attention, too! HOWEVER - it dried in the tube easily, the spoolie (brush) is completely different as there is not a deeply curved middle portion. Its comb is not as separating, and its actual formulation is tacky to the touch. The black is not as intense as Lnacome's and it does not wear off as nicely as Lancome's. It leaves behind particles even after washing.
Here were just a few things I had to get out there because Im really tired of hearing "This is a dupe!" "I heard someone say ________ is a dupe for NARS". Ladies, I love you I do. But just because someone says its a dupe doesn't make it a real dupe - ESPECIALLY if they don't even own the REAL product, think twice before taking their word for it.
One thing that can never be duped is YOU LADIES - my amazing readers & YT viewers - I love you to pieces!